Memorial Windows

St. James' Memorial Windows

Sitting in the sanctuary of St. James, you will notice the ray of light filtering through the beautiful stained glass windows. They are unique because they resemble paintings from the traditional stained glass which are little shapes of glass.

Stained glass dates back to the Middle Ages, 1200s, or even up to Gothic and Romanesque Cathedrals. Most people could not read or write, so reading and writing was left to those who were in monasteries. The stained glass served as teaching instruments in Cathedrals so people could understand the Gospel, the message of love through Christ Jesus our Lord, through pictures.

The Resurection Window - This beautiful window above the altar was dedicated on Easter Sunday in 1933. The first memorial window in St. James Episcopal Church was given by Mrs. Alonzo Brandenburg in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Faber and of her husband, Alonzo Brandenburg.

The Annunciation Window - The stained glass memorial window of The Annunciation was given by Mrs. Cyrus (Louise) Wright in memory of her mother, Mrs. Robert Hannah, and was dedicated on February 18, 1962.

The Nativity Window - The memorial window of The Nativity was dedicated October 5,1952, and was given in memory of Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Brown by their children, Mrs. E.A. Calhoun of New York City, Charles Brown of Summit, New Jersey and Lyndon Brown of Evanston, Illinois. A fund for the preservation of the Brown Memorial Window was established in 1964.

The Lord Jesus Blesing the Little Children Window - The memorial window of The Lord Jesus Blessing the Little Children was given in memory of Mrs. and Mrs. Walter B. Windsor.

The Sermon on the Mount Window - This window is in memory of Mrs. and Mrs. George B. Lowry, early parishioners of St. James Episcopal Church. The window as given by their daughter, Mrs. J. Frank Shay (Mildred) and their son, Markham Lowry of Rochester, Minnesota. This window was dedicated February 18, 1962.

Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane Window - This memorial window on the west wall of the church was dedicated on September 27, 1935, in memory of Marjorie Webber Dell, who died August 18, 1934. The memorial was given by her husband, Roger L. Dell, a prominent Fergus Falls attorney and later Chief Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court.

The Good Shepherd Window - This memorial window was given by Mrs. W.B. (Sarah) Windsor in memory of her sister, Mrs. Anna Tennant.

The Resurection Window

This beautiful window above the altar was dedicated on Easter Sunday in 1933. The first memorial window in St. James Episcopal Church was given by Mrs. Alonzo Brandenburg in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Faber and of her husband, Alonzo Brandenburg.

Alice Faber Brandenburg was born in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, August 14, 1857, and who came to Fergus Falls with her parents in 1870. Mr. Brandenburg was born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1849, and came to Fergus Falls in 1871 from Wisconsin. He engaged in the machinery business in Fergus Falls. He was Sheriff of Otter Tail County from 1883 to 1891, when he became President of the First State Bank and also served on the School Board.

Alice Faber and Alonzo Brandenburg were married in Fergus Falls on August 19, 1874. Their only child died in infancy.

Mr. Brandenburg died in the June 22, 1919, tornado in Fergus Falls. He was walking to his home on Cavour Avenue West when the storm broke and he took refuge in the Grand Hotel on the corner of Lincoln and Vine. The hotel was destroyed and several persons in the building died in the wreckage.

Mrs. Brandenburg was a devoted member of the St. James Episcopal Church. She was popular with young people and the older residents in her youth. Throughout her lifetime, her greatest pleasure was helping others. She died on September 4, 1930 and the Fergus Falls Journal in recording her death stated: “There are many in Fergus Falls who benefited from her kindness in their time of need.” The following notation in church records gives an idea of how much St. James Church was and is indebted to this pioneer: “The Vestry in 1897 called on the women of the parish for regular contributions to defray the general expenses and named Alice Brandenburg Parish Treasurer. She held the office for a number of years. During 1899, the St. James Guild, St. Agnes Guild, and St. Mary’s Guild contributed $843 and secured $560.35 additional congregational pledges. By 1904, the three Guilds were contributing nearly $1,000, church subscriptions were over $800. Choir members gave $185. There were 100 active communicants.”

The Rev. O.A. Worthing was the Rector from 1897 to October 1904. The Resurrection Memorial Window, provided for in her will, was Alice Brandenburg’s last generous gift to St. James Church.

Mrs. Brandenburg was a slender little lady who spent very little on personal adornment, wearing the same black straw hat for years, summer or winter. She was generous to others.

The Annunciation Window

The stained glass memorial window of The Annunciation was given by Mrs. Cyrus (Louise) Wright in memory of her mother, Mrs. Robert Hannah, and was dedicated on February 18, 1962.

Mary Ely Hannah was born in Northfield, Vermont on July 1, 1868. She came to Fergus Falls in 1893, rented an office and a typewriter, and became the first and only stenographer in Fergus Falls at the time. She handled all the typing for the lawyers in town and, on three days each week, walked to the State Hospital to handle the stenographic work for the hospital superintendent and his staff. Mary Ely and Robert Hannah were married June 1, 1899. They were the parents of a daughter, Louise, born November 26, 1905.

Mrs. Hannah was always very active in the church as well as in the community in spite of the fact that she was crippled for the last fifty years of her life.

On January 30, 1917, she organized a group of high school girls as an auxiliary to the Women’s Auxiliary. This group was named the Junior Auxiliary, a name under which the members worked for church projects until after Mrs. Hannah’s death, when the name was changed to the Mary Ely Hannah Guild. This guild remained active until it was absorbed into the Episcopal Church Women. Among the many things this group accomplished was the raising of funds for the purchase of the present pipe organ, which was dedicated on Christmas Day, 1927.

Mrs. Hannah died on February 27, 1961.

The Nativity Window

The memorial window of The Nativity was dedicated October 5, 1952, and was given in memory of Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Brown by their children, Mrs. E.A. Calhoun of New York City, Charles Brown of Summit, New Jersey and Lyndon Brown of Evanston, Illinois. A fund for the preservation of the Brown Memorial Window was established in 1964.

Edward A. Brown was born October 25, 1859 in Baltimore, Maryland, and came to Fergus Falls March 11, 1882, where he was always known an “E.A.” Brown. He operated his own barber shop in Fergus Falls for fifty years. Mr. Brown took an active interest in civic affairs, serving several terms as Alderman from the Fourth Ward and also as Acting Mayor during that period.

He was a member of Company F, the local militia, a member of the Modern Woodmen, and, at his death, was the oldest member of the Masonic Lodge in point of years. He was also a charter member of the Eastern Star and Knights of Pythias.

Irene Walbridge and Mr. Brown were married at St. James Episcopal Church on October 12, 1888.

Mr. and Mrs. Brown were both active in St. James Church. He was choir director for many years and had a fine tenor voice. Mrs. Brown was active in the Guild and Women’s Auxiliary and taught Sunday School classes for years. She also took an interest in other activities, being a member of the D.A.R., Eastern Star, and Reading Club.

Mr. Brown died in his 83rd year. Services were held at St. James Church.

Mrs. Brown died at Summit, New Jersey March 18, 1953 at the age of 88 years.

The Lord Jesus Blessing the Little Children Window

The memorial window of The Lord Jesus Blessing the Little Children was given in memory of Mrs. and Mrs. Walter B. Windsor.

The Windsors came to Fergus Falls from Aberdeen, South Dakota, in 1899. Mr. Windsor was born in Wheatchief, New Jersey, on November 21, 1859, and was educated at Canaserage and Hornettsville, New York.

He went to South Dakota in 1883, headquartering at Aberdeen. Mrs. Windsor’s maiden name was Sarah Tennant, daughter of Richard and Ann Livingston Tennant. As a young woman, she moved with her parents to Faribault, Minnesota and ten years later was married to Walter B. Windsor and their first home was in Aberdeen, South Dakota.

Mr. Windsor served as Vestryman and as Junior Warden of St. James parish for many years. He was a member of the Otter Tail County Red Cross Committee, a director of the First National Bank, and, from 1899 until his death, was interested in the milling business with his brother-in-law, David Tennant. They owned and operated the Otter Tail Flour Mill and the Fergus Flour Mill which they consolidated. In 1904, they purchased a mill in Fargo, North Dakota and purchased the Globe Mill in Perham, Minnesota in 1912. Mr. Windsor died March 30, 1930.

Mrs. Windsor was an untiring worker in the St. James Guild, the Women’s Auxiliary, and in the Sunday School as long as her health permitted. She suffered severely from arthritis and came to church a wheelchair in the last years before her death. Mrs. Windsor died on July 9, 1941.

Mr. and Mrs. Windsor adopted two nephews whom they raised from early childhood. The eldest son, Harold, died in 1921, and the altar in this church was given in his memory, by the Windsor family. Robert Windsor, the younger son, became a physician and was in practice in Rothsay and later in Fergus Falls. Robert Windsor died December 30, 1942.

A bequest of $3,000 from the estate of Mrs. Windsor paid the mortgage on the Rectory in 1941.

The Sermon on the Mount Window

This window is in memory of Mrs. and Mrs. George B. Lowry, early parishioners of St. James Episcopal Church. The window was given by their daughter, Mrs. J. Frank Shay (Mildred) and their son, Markham Lowry of Rochester, Minnesota. This window was dedicated February 18, 1962.

Mr. Lowry was born at Rochester, Minnesota on January 3, 1862, the son of Mr. and Mrs. William D. Lowry. William D. Lowry was a member of the Minnesota Territorial Legislature. George B. Lowry was ten years old when he came to Fergus Falls to visit his brother, Milnor Lowry, a resident since June 11, 1871. George B. Lowry returned to Rochester to complete his schooling before returning to Fergus Falls to engage in the Land, Loan, and Insurance business in the firm of Lake and Lowry. Mrs. Lowry’s maiden name was Hettie Chamberlain. She was born in Lima, New York on June 6, 1862, and came to Fergus Falls with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Chamberlain in 1881. Her father came to Fergus Falls to open and manage the new Grand Hotel at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Vine Street. The Chamberlains, after a few years in this city, moved to Windsor, Ontario, Canada. George B. Lowry and Hettie Chamberlain were married at Windsor on April 7, 1886.

Mr. and Mrs. Lowry were the parents of two sons and a daughter; Seldon C. Lowry, who died in the Service when stricken with influenza while stationed in Sacramento, California in World War I, Markham Lowry, who resides in Rochester and Mildred, who married J. Frank Shay of Fergus Falls. They were the parents of one son, John F. Shay.

Mr. and Mrs. Lowry were faithful members of St. James Episcopal Church. Mrs. Lowry was a member of the Women’s Auxiliary and St. James Guild, Red Cross, and a Golden Star mother. Mr. Lowry served on the Vestry and, in 1958, made a generous donation for new lights in the church, new hymnals and prayer books, and improvements in the Undercroft.

Mrs. Lowry died on February 20, 1952, and Mr. Lowry died on November 15, 1961.

Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane Window

This memorial window in the west wall of the church was dedicated on September 27, 1935 in memory of Marjorie Webber Dell, who died August 18, 1934. The memorial was given by her husband, Roger L. Dell, a prominent Fergus Falls attorney and later Chief Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court.

Mrs. Dell was born in Fergus Falls on December 3, 1894 and was a lifelong member of St. James Church. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Webber, came to Fergus Falls in 1882 from Niles, Michigan and were parents of a son, Herbert E. Webber and a daughter, Marjorie. Their home was located the corner of Oak Street and Lincoln Avenue.

Mr. Dell came to Fergus Falls in 1920 to be associated with James A. Brown, an attorney here since the 1880′s. Mr. Brown was also an Episcopalian and served as Senior Warden of St. James for many years.

Marjorie Webber and Roger Dell were married on March 15, 1923 at St. James Church. Mr. Dell became the senior partner of the firm of Dell, Rosengren, and Rufer following the death of James A. Brown and was appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court on January 12, 1953 by Governor C. Elmer Anderson and six months later became Chief Justice.

Mr. Dell served as Senior Warden of St. James Church, was a member of the Bishop’s Council of the Diocese of Duluth and was also a member of the Board of Directors of the Minneapolis Episcopal Foundation.

Mr. Dell married Agnes Collier, a native of the State of Virginia. She was born August 12, 1904. They were married in Washington, D.C. in 1941. Their home in Fergus Falls was on East Lakeside Drive. Mrs. Dell took an active interest in the work of St. James Church and was interested in the missionary work of the Episcopal Church. Mrs. Dell died December 18, 1964, and Mr. Dell established a $15,000 Memorial Fund for St. James’ in her memory.

Mr. Dell died on March 8, 1966.

Prior to the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Dell, they established a very considerable Memorial Fund for Missionary work in the Episcopal Church to be administered by the Minneapolis Episcopal Foundation and also a very generous Dell Memorial Fund, the proceeds from which were received by St. James Church annually. Mr. Dell was born at Bird Island, Minnesota on July 19,1897, and worked in construction work in St. Paul day times, attending Law School class in the evening to fit himself for his chosen profession.

The Good Shepherd Window

This memorial window was given by Mrs. W.B. (Sarah) Windsor in memory of her sister, Mrs. Anna Tennant.

Anna Tennant was born in St. Lawrence County, New York, and moved with her parents, Richard and Ann Livingston Tennant, to Faribault, Minnesota when she was a young woman. Later, she moved to Aberdeen, South Dakota, to live with her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. W.B. Windsor. In 1899, Anna came to Fergus Falls to live with her brother, David A. Tennant, a widower and help make a home for him and his two daughters, Gertrude and Florence. Mr. Tennant was in partnership with his brother-in-law, W.B. Windsor in the operation of flour mills in Fergus Falls, Fargo, and Perham.

Miss Tennant took an active part in the St. James Episcopal parish. She was an enthusiastic worker in the Guild and Women’s Auxiliary, a member of the Women’s Club, and P.E.O. and, after the death of her brother-in-law, W.B. Windsor, became secretary of the Wright Memorial Hospital Association.

Anna Tennant was of cheerful disposition and the Tennant home at 311 North Whitford was open to various church groups. When her nieces became Sunday School teachers, children of the Sunday School, for many years, looked forward to the pre-Christmas Party at the Tennant home at which popcorn and cranberry chains were strung to decorate the Christmas tree for the Children’s Christmas Eve Service.

Anna Tennant died on February 1, 1935, and was survived by her sister, Mrs. Windsor, her nieces, Gertrude Tennant and Mrs. William (Florence Tennant) McLaughlin and one nephew, Dr. Robert Windsor.

St. James exists to be the heart and hands of Christ in community.
Welcome - Adult Sunday School at 9:00 AM - Worship at 10:30 AM